14 February 2010

"I Wanna Be A Hippie!" Sunday

As I mentioned in this post, I am in the process of educating myself on "natural" living. I'm not sure yet how I personally am going to define that for myself and my family, hence why I am doing research.

What I learned this week.
For the month of February, I've been concentrating on researching organic food and the benefits of eating organic. I've been reading some books on the subject (I'll share which ones I think are most helpful later) and researching online.

Something I've found extremely useful are two lists: The Dirty Dozen and The Clean Fifteen. Several sources produce similar lists, so there are a few foods that vary depending on whose list you look at, but this is what I like the most (combined from all lists):

THE DIRTY DOZEN
These are food items you should purchase organic whenever possible.
1). Peaches
2). Apples
3). Strawberries
4). Pears
5). Grapes
6). Raspberries
7). Spinach
8). Bell peppers
9). Tomatoes
10). Celery
11). Potatoes
12). Cherries

THE CLEAN FIFTEEN
These items are typically OK to purchase conventionally.
1). Asparagus
2). Avocados
3). Frozen corn
4). Blueberries
5). Frozen peas
6). Cabbage
7). Garlic
8). Kiwi
9). Mango
10). Onion
11). Pineapple
12). Bananas
13) Broccoli
14). Watermelon
15). Papaya

I hope that helps as you do your grocery shopping! I carry the two lists with me when shopping.

How I was a hippie this week.
Keat might have made fun of me this week for doing these things, but I felt good about them.

I used an avocado masque for the first time this week. My skin felt so good and so soft afterwards! It's really simple:

Mash 1/2 avocado with 2 tablespoons olive oil

Apply to face and rinse once dry. You can also use it on your hair. Apply, then wrap hair in a hot towel and rinse after 20 minutes.

Make sure that you use an avocado that is room temperature. I used my avocado straight from the fridge, so at first it wouldn't blend very well on my face. Once it started to warm up it went a lot smoother. If avocados weren't so expensive I would do this a lot more often! (They were on sale last week.)

I also made kale chips last week! They were SO DELICIOUS!!! If you like kale and you've never had these, you must stop everything and make them immediately. They are awesome!

Just tear your kale into pieces (I just used bagged organic kale greens), then spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with olive oil and fresh ground sea salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crisp.

Keat doesn't eat kale, so the batch lasted me several days as I was the only one eating on it. The chips started getting a little soggy after a couple of days, so next time I make them I will probably do it fresh every couple of days.

That's it for this week! The next two weeks I'll talk more about organic food. Then in March I am going to talk about natural health products that I use!

Please post any information you'd like to share about your experiences with organic food!

No comments:

Blog Layout